Saturday 19 September 2009

A distressing visit

I went to see Edna this morning (visiting allowed from 11-12) She was in the day room. The first thing she did was complain about how long she had been in the day room - that it was 'too long' to force people to be away from their beds' Turns out she had been in the day room for all of 15 minutes.

I had taken her a couple of cream slices. She loves cream cakes and I reckon she needs the calories. She was pleased - but then said she would eat them with her afternoon tea. Eventually I suggested they should be put in the fridge to keep them fresh. She implied the nurses would steal them. Anyway I spoke to her nurse who wrote her name on the box and told me to tell the housekeepers to put them in the fridge. And one of the auxilaries is ging to make sure she is offered them with her afternoon cup of tea. I dont think she will eat those cakes at all.

At least in the day room a couple of other patients joined in the conversation which meant it was easier on me. Although Edna (or do I mean Mrs Hyde?) made a cuple of cutting remarks about other people cutting in on conversations.

It was quite weird- one moment she would be quite grump -a nd the next laughing at something or commenting about the cookery programme on the TV.

At one point she expressed some interest in being wheeled outside at some point, As it was really nice this morning I suggested I could take her outside then - but her immediate answer 'Oh no not at the moment'

It was one of those times when I felt I couldn't do right for doing wrong. Sonia (the auxilary who is going to make sure she gets her cake) had a chat with me as I was on the way out - and she said Edna is always telling people how good I am. I am trying to understand why she tells other people one thing - and yet gives me the opposite impression. The trouble is with dementia patients you never know what is real and what it fanatsy. Is she telling them the truth or is the face she shows me the real one?

No comments:

Post a Comment