Sunday 27 September 2009

More problems?

Just got back from the hospital. This morning I have been to Fosters to pay her rent, pick uo her crochet stuff and a few more clothes. I also retrieved some mince pies from the freezer that have been there since last year.She likes mince pies and I am hoping she will eat them. Then I called in at West Heath for the 11-12 visiting slot

When I arrived I was asked if I could push her to the day room as they were still getting patients up. She objected at first but then when it was explained WHY she needed to be moved she agreed.
Before we got to the day room she showed me (and anyone else watching!) her catheter bag which I am happy to say was clear. But her legs are still very swollen.

Down in the day room it became obvious she had forgotten what we discussed yesterday becasue she was surprised (but very pleased) when I produced her crochet bag. And the mince pies seemed to be a hit as well. I have told one of the rehab assistants that they are from the freezer and not to panic about the expiry date (Dec 2008)

She had a drink while we were in the day room and after yesterdays accident (and the domestic implied other similar events) I was asked to watch her carefully. Which I dd and noticed she has a tremor in her hands. I mentiomed it to Mary and Sonia. When I suggeted to Mary it could be linked to the dementia, she reminded me that Salbutamol can cause a tremor. We discussed how much she is having and how log she has been having it. I pinted out she has been prescribed it for a long time - but it is a moot point how much she has actually had. But whatever the cause I have mentioned it and they will keep an eye on it.

I was very much remined of the phrase Carolyn used when she did psychometry on Edna's ring' Torrent of words'. She never really stopped talking. And some of what she was saying was actually rather critical of other people in the room - and she has a loud voice. There were some familiar themes in her chatter. Going to to the shops, relatives being able to eat on the ward if they pay, but most of the time she was talking about the people on the ward (or the people she imagines are on the ward?) Basically she was lost - but happy - on Planet Edna.

It was not a happy visit for me .

No comments:

Post a Comment