Tuesday 18 August 2009

Discharge planning

I got a voicemail from Barbara the social worker telling me that she had a budget for a discharge package - and a 48 window to use it in. This meant discharge on Thursday with Tony and I going Pendle on Friday. While not ideal I felt if that was the only option then we would have to manage. However a few minutes later I got a call from her saying she had spoken to Tracy - who I think is in charge of the discharge team who provide the initial care. Tracy knew Edna and apparently knew me too so I guess she must have dealt with Edna in February. Tracy said that I was key to Edna's dicharge working, and to do it when I wouldn't be there would be silly - so the budget is being held over the weekend - and Edna is going home on Monday afternoon.

I can have my weekend away without worrying.

Barabara's comments on her being sent home on the nebuliser were forthright. She told me that a few minutes after they left Edna's flat after the home visit, Edna looked out of the window and said 'Oh I live round here' She seemed to have completely forgotten the visit and that she had been in her flat a minutes earlier. It was a relief to have someone from the hospital who could understand my concerns. I am sure when the nurses tell me she is coping OK with the nebuliser they are telling the truth. Edna herself said there is really nothing to it - but her statement did a ring of her trying to convince herself.. I am sure the nurses are standing over her a lot to make sure they CAN give a positive report because they need to get her out of the bed. I don't blame them- they are under pressure and once she goes home it is someone elses problem.But I wish they would at least acknowledge the problem her memory is going to cauase with the nebuliser.

Edna was very emotional - almost in tears at times. She said how much she loved me and how proud she was to have me as a daughter-in-law.

I have been trying hard to listen to her - and I think it is paying dividends

No comments:

Post a Comment